Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide

From: Derek L Davies
Subject: Re: GNU/Hurd User's Guide
Date: 30 Jan 2003 11:57:54 -0500

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> writes:
> You misunderstood me.  I don't know how you see the difference between
> a guide and a manual, but here is how I see it; a guide is a step by
> step document on how to achieve a specific task (ex. installing Debian
> GNU/Hurd), a manual discusses a specific tool both in detail, and in
> general terms. (ex. using bash).

In my mind this is a third type of doc, a "cookbook".  I think a
cookbook is a step-by-step on how to do something when you just want
to get it done.  A "reference manual" is like a dictionary where to go
to look up details of something you already know something about.  A
"guide" is a book meant to be read cover-to-cover that gives the
general lay of the land to those who no nothing about a system or
those who want to review the basics.

Derek