Re: wheeee! installed. no network. now what? :)

From: Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
Subject: Re: wheeee! installed. no network. now what? :)
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 22:07:28 +0000

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 07:19:40AM +0100, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> Your help request is kinda useless, so you need to be more specific.

 simple request: please tell me how to get networking going so i can
 do some apt-gets and then get things running.

 i want to compile FreeDCE under gnu/hurd.

> How do you know that your card is not regocnized (the eepro100 driver
> works)?

 because marcus helped me get hurd installed when i met him in
 bristol last year and it didn't work.

 we tried downloading the latest 2(.2?) and the latest 2.4 eepro100.c
 drivers from the linux kernel in order to attempt to patch them in:
 aside from running out of time, later attempts (at home) also failed.

 so i gave up.

 now i am trying again.

 i am hoping that that new code, the driver abstraction stuff,
 will help.

> How did you run pfinet?

 what is pfinet?

 i am literally coming in cold into this and it is very frustrating
 not being able to do a damn thing (except standard unix commands
 like ls and cd etc).

 there are many assumptions that you are making.

 one of them is that anyone and everyone will know what pfinet is.

 now i have a command name associated with networking (thank you
 for that) i can at least do a search on google.

 hopefully i will find some example usage posted.

> Did you read the GNU/Hurd installation guide [1]?

 yes i read the installation guide.  especially the networking
 section which contains no information, and i mean no information.

 the section heading is there but the content is blank.

 next time you respond, please do both myself, and yourself,
 a favour: please try not to make your response, to someone
 who is enthusiastic about your project, sound like you want
 to kick their head in.

 whilst i appreciate that i did not appear to give you full
 information sufficient for you to feel that you could respond
 in full, your tone and questioning was really quite aggressive,
 unprofessional and very very subtly discourteous, and i would
 not expect it of someone who represents the gnu/hurd project.

 if you would like some examples of how to respond to people with
 limited knowledge of the way your project operates, perhaps you
 should look back through the samba ntdom and samba tng archives
 from 1997 to 1999.

 there you will find plenty of examples of how to treat less
 knowledgeable people with respect, and also how to get useful
 information out of them.

 l.