Re: Read-write tarfs

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Re: Read-write tarfs
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:54:57 +0100

On Tue, Jan 21, 2003 at 05:19:20PM +0100, Niels Möller wrote:
> "Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@kemisten.nu> writes:
>
> >      $ settrans -ca chbouib /hurd/tarfs -j --volatile chbouib-0.1.tar.bz2
> >      $ cd chbouib
> >      $ ./configure && make && cd .. && settrans -g tmp
> >
> > I would rather use unionfs (hi moritz!) and make the tar ball
> > read-only, but thats only me.
>
> Or use a separate build directory, if the package supports that.
> Putting the objectfiles into the tarfile seems cool but pretty
> useless. ;-)

Sure. ;)  But I think you missed the point: The `--volatile' options makes
newly created nodes "volatile".  That is, they won't get synced to the
tarball when asking the translator to go away. :)

The point is that you usually don't want the modifications to be saved
unless you explicitely ask it by running "syncfs" -- the same happens with
text editors or any other app: changes get saved *only* if you ask it.

Thanks,
Ludovic.