Inheritance of "/", auth and proc handles

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Inheritance of "/", auth and proc handles
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 23:53:36 +0100

Hi,

If I understand correctly, each task created by the Hurd "inherits" a
handle to the root filesystem, as well as to the auth and proc servers from
its parent task.  For auth and proc, this is necessary because they don't
have an entry in the filesystem hierarchy, which is probably due to security
reasons also.  For "/", it is necessary because the root filesystem is the
root nameserver of the Hurd.  Is it correct so far?

Now, I'm trying to understand how those three handles are actually passed
to new tasks.  The exec interface has an obsolete call called "exec_init"
that has a auth handle and a proc handle argument.  However, "exec_exec"
doesn't have such things so how does it work?  Any pointer?

Thanks in advance!

Ludovic.