Syncfs & node locking

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Syncfs & node locking
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 18:41:45 +0100

Hi,

I have a small question about how syncfs should work on the server side.
We could expect the server to lock each node before trying to sync it.
However, it turns out that syncfs (the command-line tool) looks up the
file specified on the command-line and then calls fsys_syncfs () with
the file port.

The problem is that, as specified by the comments in netfs.h for
netfs_attempt_lookup (), on successful lookups, the node found must
be locked.  Therefore, if the server's syncfs stub tries to acquire a
lock on the node that has just been looked up by syncfs(1), it will
just hang.

So what is the right way to implement syncfs on the server side?

Thanks,
Ludovic.