Memory-mapped files

From: Ludovic Courtès
Subject: Memory-mapped files
Date: Tue, 12 Nov 2002 10:59:16 +0100

Hi,

Although the GNU Coding Standards specify that user applications shouldn't
rely on mmap() to read files, it turns out that gcc sometimes relies on it
(depending on the source file size I think).  Should we ask the gcc team to
change that? ;)

This is kind of annoying because implementing io_map on the server side in not
necessarily trivial I think.  How can this be implemented in a server that
doesn't use libpager (I don't think there are such examples in the source
tree)?

Thanks,
Ludovic.