Re: new kernel compile?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: new kernel compile?
Date: Mon, 4 Nov 2002 01:57:46 +0100

On Sun, Oct 27, 2002 at 11:04:48PM -0500, Peter McAlpine wrote:
> can someone give me some pointers as far as (re)building the gnumach
> kernel? Everytime I do a fresh linux install I will right away build
> an updated kernel that fits my hardware more precisely... so:
>
> is this something commonly done with hurd? Is this nessecary?

If the version you have works for you, there is hardly a point in doing so.
It speeds booting up a bit due to fewer hardware probing, and saves a bit of
memory.

> This whole branch thing is confusing, but maybe I just haven't found
> the right README file yet... the gnumach one talks about a
> split... where are the details of this split, and it's implications
> explained?

We are replacing all drivers with never versions (and the framework in which
the drivers exist).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de