RE: Grub from floppy/answ. to O.Kulev

From: sigbj-st
Subject: RE: Grub from floppy/answ. to O.Kulev
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 2002 12:57:43 +0200

Dear mr.Kulev,
Just have an hour ago before I read your messages I was reading through grub
with "info grub" in linux.I just entered 'title hurd' above in menu.lst so I
had
       title hurd
       root ............
       kernel ...........
       module ............
       module ............

and followed the entrances  in the walfield paper.This solved everything,and I
don't have to write the extremely long entrances for every boot any more.In
other words: I lacked the 'title' command to make the menu.lst work for grub
Else,I pay attention to your recommendations;

Regeards S.Storset

>===== Original Message From help-hurd@gnu.org =====
>sigbj-st wrote:
>
>> I also tried to write the entrances in /boot/grub/menu.lst on the
>> floppy,but I
>> am not used to grub,so I don't really know how the grub read my
>> entrances upon boot
>
>Making Grub floppy with menu.lst can be done using
>ftp://alpha.gnu.org/pub/gnu/grub/grub-0.92-i386-pc.tar.gz .  Format a
>floppy disk (ext2) and unpack this archive there.  Let's name that disk
>`custom' and the floppy disk made from grub-0.92-i386-pc.ext2fs `image'.
>  In /boot/grub/menu.lst of `custom' write your entries.  Now reboot
>with `image' inside.  After Grub prompt appears replace with `custom'
>floppy disk and type:
>
>root (fd0)
>setup (fd0)
>
>This should make `custom' bootable with Grub and with your menu.lst.
>There is no problem if later you mount `custom' and edit menu.lst --
>Grub doesn't need special actions to catch new configuration.
>
>Notice I didn't try this technique so it is possible it doesn't work.
>I'm setting Reply-To: help-hurd so that other people can help if it's
>needed.
>
>> Do you think I should write all the entrances at the grub prompt in...
>
>Yes, better post your Grub commands to help-hurd.  I just saw that
>someone has experienced similar problem because of little variation of
>these commands.

Okay, see if I can do it to night.(SS)