Re: /servers/socket/2 -- why only one inet socket?

From: Clemmitt Sigler
Subject: Re: /servers/socket/2 -- why only one inet socket?
Date: Mon, 14 Oct 2002 07:00:24 -0400 (EDT)

Hi,

On 14 Oct 2002, Niels [iso-8859-1] M?ller wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
> > For socket servers, the simples thing to do would probably be to allow to
> > override _SERVERS_SOCKET (eg "/servers/socket/" in glibc/hurd/hurdsock.c)
> > with SOCKETSERVERS for non-suid programs.
> I think that's the natural thing to do. Setting up a couple of links
> is a lot easier than setting up an entire chroot environment.

On this point, there must be something fundamental about the Hurd's
architecture I don't understand.  Why shouldn't it be possible to
just do this:

# settrans -fgap /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth0 -a u.v.w.x -m ...
# settrans /servers/socket/2 /hurd/pfinet -i eth1 -a u.v.y.z -m ...

to configure multiple 'net interfaces?  This is (more of less) the
way I'd do it in some flavor *nix.  Thanks :^)