Re: Success with /dev/{u}random and openssh.

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Success with /dev/{u}random and openssh.
Date: Sat, 12 Oct 2002 00:23:00 +0200

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 12:45:00PM -0400, Clemmitt Sigler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've successfully (and very easily :^) gotten Marcus's random
> translator to work, and installed/configured openssh from the
> J1 CDs.  I'm running Hurd 0.3/libc0.3 (an updated system, that is).
> My understanding from trolling the mailing list archives is that
> this implementation is a starting point, and may not yet be as robust
> for cryptographic purposes as on other systems, so YMMV.

The entropy mixing pool in my random translator is from gnupg, so it should
be gquite ood.  But it can only be as good as the data you feed it with, and
there
currently is no good entropy source in the Hurd.  This will be fixed in GNU
Mach v2.  And for that I have to rediddle a bit of the internals in my
random translator (use polling instead waiting for push).

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/