Re: Newbies questions

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Newbies questions
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 16:01:01 +0200

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 03:26:20PM +0200, Andreas K. Foerster wrote:

> > May one ask what this Debian GNU/Hurd 0.2 is?  Or are you really
> > talking about GNU 0.2?  Debian GNU/Hurd 0.2 does not exist, but there
> > exists an release of GNU made in 1997 called GNU 0.2.
>
> Well, I'm really not sure what I have.
> It's a CD from a journal (freeX 4'00) - and the archive is very
> confusing. They called it "Debian GNU Hurd 0.3", but "uname -a"
> sais "GNU hurd 0.2 GNUmach-1.2/Hurd-0.2 i386-AT386 unknown", that's why
> I wrote 0.2. But there is also a debian/unstable archive on the CD -
> at least a small part of it (there's lots of other stuff on the CD).

Yes, the magazine titled it wrongly.  I know because I made this CD ;)

> > If you are using this release then you should upgrade at once.
>
> I have just a slow modem!
> And I just wanted to have a short look at it.

You should still update, the two year old version has many bugs that have
been fixed since then.  You don't need to download, you can order CDs with
recent images, for example from Philip Charles, or also from a German
reseller.  Make sure you get at least J1:

http://www.debian.org/CD/vendors/

This one has J1, which is not too bad, IIRC, for 18 euro.
http://www.hinner.de/linux/debian_hurd_1.html

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de