Re: Newbies questions

From: Andreas K. Foerster
Subject: Re: Newbies questions
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 15:26:20 +0200

On Fri, Oct 11, 2002 at 09:21:44AM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:

> > You're not alone, that's why it's 0.2 and not 1.0. :-)
> What is there in a number?

Serious question?
He wanted to tell me, that it's still an Alpha version.

> > >I have Debian GNU/HURD 0.2. Well, I know that it's not the newest
> > >version, but it's the only one I can get at the moment.
>
> May one ask what this Debian GNU/Hurd 0.2 is?  Or are you really
> talking about GNU 0.2?  Debian GNU/Hurd 0.2 does not exist, but there
> exists an release of GNU made in 1997 called GNU 0.2.

Well, I'm really not sure what I have.
It's a CD from a journal (freeX 4'00) - and the archive is very
confusing. They called it "Debian GNU Hurd 0.3", but "uname -a"
sais "GNU hurd 0.2 GNUmach-1.2/Hurd-0.2 i386-AT386 unknown", that's why
I wrote 0.2. But there is also a debian/unstable archive on the CD -
at least a small part of it (there's lots of other stuff on the CD).

Well I don't have the journal anymore, so it may be, that I chose the
wrong files for the base system...

> If you are using this release then you should upgrade at once.

I have just a slow modem!
And I just wanted to have a short look at it.

--
Tschuess
        Andreas