Re: Can um-pppd be made to work?

From: Clemmitt Sigler
Subject: Re: Can um-pppd be made to work?
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 2002 18:39:51 -0400 (EDT)

Hi Marcus et al,

On Fri, 11 Oct 2002, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> YOu have not tried higher speeds :)  At some point you will find out that
> anything over 480baud doesn't work because the com driver in GNU Mach sucks
> big time.  We will have tor ectofy this in GNU Mach v2, but this can take a
> while (end of this year).

Aha -- I did find a message in one of the mailing list archives that
said that any speed over 300 baud was not useful.  Please tell me you
meant 4800 baud and not 480 :^D  Well, I'm patient.  If there's no
useful/reusable way to improve gnumach-1.3 for better serial speeds,
then we wait.  I certainly think a usable ppp will help get a lot
more people using the Hurd -- but Many People have been saying this
since 1999 or before.  And if you're not a part of the solution,
you're a part of the problem (and I'm not a part of the solution ;^)

> >    # settrans -c /dev/tun0 /hurd/pfinet
> This is not the right way.  You will have to dig out the message by Neal
> where he explains how to set it up if you want to try it out (it involves
> setting -i tun0 on /server/socket/2).

Sorry, my bad.  I didn't thoroughly troll the mailing list archives
to find out how to make it work.  Will do.  If I have success, I'll
post the details.  (Now to ask a different question in my next post....)