Re: store_set_size (patch)

From: David Sugar
Subject: Re: store_set_size (patch)
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 2002 08:12:23 -0400 (EDT)

Not all countries have a similar idea of what copyright is.  The French,
for example, and at least some other European countries that followed
their example, have the concept of non-transferrable authors rights, and
these are often seperated from "commercial" rights.  There may be other
countries with even more unique madness on the issue, but certainly the US
is not alone in strange, complicated legal, or contradictory concepts of
copyright law.  Most copyright law is homogenised internationally through
the Bern convention, which most countries are signatories of.  The GPL is
generally thought to be consistent with the Bern convention concepts and
application of copyright, as is copyright assignment.

However, keep in mind, that a "copyright" comment in a source file is not
in itself a "copyright", just as stating in comments "copyright FSF" is
not in itself a copyright assignment.  I can add a copyright here, as in
"Copyright (c) 2002 Jeff Bailey", but this does not nessisarly mean it is
true.  If somebody went to court over this email, the first question is
does Jeff hold legal copyright.  That is says so here is unimportant.  If
there is something I have signed, as a contract or notorized document,
that Jeff can produce which says that I did this, that is something that
would be legally accepted anywhere (at least in a Bern convention
signatory country).