RE: native-install halts

From: Lakatos Jozsef
Subject: RE: native-install halts
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 17:35:44 +0200

> Hmm, have you verified that this problem is reproducible?  If yes,
> then you could check which is the last command in native-install,
> which gets executed (for instance by adding some debugging messages
> into the script).

I checked it, that the script stops at the command (tryed typing it
manualy on at the prompt too):
cp /usr/share/base-passwd/group.master /etc/group

(No messages, no hdd activity, the console still works.)

though
cp /usr/share/base-passwd/passwd.master /etc/passwd
succeeded before.
With this additional information can you tell me how this could be? What
else should I try? Try to debug cp with gdb to see what exactly happens?
I've used gdb only a fewe times before so I'm not an expert.

It is still most probable to me that I'm doing something wrong. Here's
exactly what I've done:
-Wrote root and rescue disk from the images located on the cd. (Don't
know why this old P1 couldn't boot from a cd. Though it should be able,
there is this option in it's bios. Never mind.)
-Booted rescue and mounted the root ramdisk image.
-Installed the system. (set keyboard, initialized swap, initialiazed and
mounted root hdd partition, installed base system from cd)
-Wrote grub image located on the cd to a floppy and booted it.
-booted HURD in single-user mode:
root (hd0,0)
kernel /boot/gnumach.gz root=sd0s1 -s
module /boot/serverboot.gz
boot

(
I think this could be what I'm doing wrong. There are different options
in the old installation guide:
grub> module
/hurd/ext2fs.static --multiboot-command-line=${kernel-command-line}  --h
ost-priv-port=${host-port} --device-master-port=${device-port} --exec-se
rver-task=${exec-task} -T typed ${root} $(task-create) $(task-resume)
grub> module /lib/ld.so.1 /hurd/exec $(exec-task=task-create)

But the same happened this way.
)

Any suggestions?
TIA