alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/hurd/

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/hurd/
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 01:25:37 +0200

[Please cut down the number of CC's if replying.  This is an announcement,
but if you reply, you should only sent back to one of the three list this
mail goes to.  Pick the appropriate one, and leave out the others.]

Hi,

I verified the md5sums of the Debian packages that had been on
alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/hurd/debian before it was compromised, and can
tell you that they all seem to be ok.  So I reuploaded all the Debian
packages and enabled the repository again.  If anybody has old copies
of those packages, he might want to verify the md5sums in the Packages
files for a couple of extra eyes on it.

However, a lot of files in alpha.gnu.org:/gnu/hurd/ we could not verify, and
they are gone.  If you miss anything specifically, maybe we can outline a way
to get them back, or at least to reconstruct them.  Some things are not
restored because it is just too much work to proof read them.  Most of that
stuff is so out of date that it needs some work to be really useful anyway,
so the update and the proof read can be combined.  Please talk to us about
this (on bug-hurd@gnu.org) if you are willing to work on it.

Blame it all on the cracker who tried to hurt us by breaking into a server
that exists solely to help the community.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de/