Re: Init question

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Init question
Date: 26 Jul 2002 11:24:24 +0200

Jason Dagit <dagit@engr.orst.edu> writes:
> Is there any documentation on how the hurd starts.  I know that GRUB loads
> something to somewhere in memory, and then it must jump there, but I was
> curious what part of the OS gets loaded first, and where that code is in
> the CVS so that I can read through the code and conceptually trace through
> the actions that happen as soon as GRUB is done.  Mostly I don't know
> where to begin, and I can't tell from looking at the code.

There will be documentation if you write it. :)

It goes something like this (this lacks any kind of detail mind you,
look at the code for that), the initial file-system is the first part
that gets started, then exec (look at the menu.lst for GRUB). These
two get started by the kernel.

The initial file-system translator then runs init (see
[hurd]/libdiskfs/boot-start.c:diskfs_start_bootstrap()).  From there
init starts proc, auth and as it's final step, /libexec/runsystem (see
[hurd]/init/init.c).  When /libexec/runsystem has finished, you have
an fully working system.

Cheers,
--
Alfred M. Szmidt