Re: problems with `dselect'

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: problems with `dselect'
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 20:28:45 +0200

On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 01:50:39PM +0200, Robert Millan wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 28, 2002 at 04:59:48PM +0200, Alfred M. Szmidt wrote:
> > * Robert Millan writes:
> > > Dselect should use settrans and friends directly when the __GNU__
> > > macro is defined, and mount otherwise (for both GNU/Linux and GNU/*BSD).
> >
> > One shouldn't use the __GNU__ macro.  Instead fix the scripts in dpkg
> > ([dpkg]/methods) or make our mount command more GNU/Linux friendly.  I
> > would suggest fixing the mount command.  It probably just doesn't
> > support some silly option that dselect wants to use.
>
> Why? the normal way to access a filesystem on GNU is settrans, not mount.
> mount is just a hack that could be useful when programs like it,
> but if it needs fixing anyway, supporting settrans would be best
> (and less prone to errors occasionated by changes in mount syntax)
>
> There was a bug report (by Marcus?) on APT discussing the cdrom access
> mode IIRC

Well, here is the story:

mount on the Hurd tries to guess the right translator by using
/hurd/${FSTYPE}fs, so it is probably looking for /hurd/iso9660fs which isn't
there.  A simple work around would be to create a symlink in /hurd.  This
is not such abad solution, at least for the Debian package.  Another would
be to hard code a conversion table into the mount program, which is not very
elegant either.

If you want a script to know about the Hurd, use "uname -s"!  If it is
"GNU", use Hurd features, if it is "Linux', use Linux features.  If you can
avoid being OS specific, do that, because it is much better for everyone.

Using settrans in the case where mount will work fine is not necessary in
programs like dselect.  However, this is really new area, and we have to see
what works.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de