problems with `dselect'

From: Matej Kosik
Subject: problems with `dselect'
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 11:45:47 -0100

Hi,

These days I installed `Debian GNU/Hurd' on my machine
to learn something about it (gnumach, hurd servers, ...)

According to `The Hurd Installation Guide'
which I downloaded from:

web.walfield.org/papers/hurd-installation-guide/hurd-installation-guide/english/

"The easiest is to use either apt-get or dselect"

I would like to install some basic packages like: `make', `gcc', `ld',
from my Hurd CD-s, so I tried

        `dselect \ Access Method \ CDROM'

the program then asked:

        Insert the CD-ROM and enter the block device name[]:

I entered the first Hurd CD and I specified the block device name:
`/dev/hd2'
(mounting of this CD works well, so the device and the CD
 seems to be OK)

`dselect' program printed out the following message:

        hd2: media changed
        mount: invalid option -- r
        Try `mount --help' or `mount --usage' for more information
        Unable to mount `/dev/hd2' on /var/lib/dpkg/methods/mntm type iso9660

and asked for entering the device name again.

Can somebody tell me, why it does not work? Some time ago I was using
some old `Debian GNU/Linux' distribution and there was no problem
with `dselect' program there (I know nothing about `apt-get'.)

Is `dselect' working properly on `Hurd'?

If possible, I would like to install the packages from the CD-s I got
(narrow and expensive bandwidth.)

Matej Kosik
--
http://altair.dcs.elf.stuba.sk/~kosik