Cross compiler Problem

From: Robert Lowe
Subject: Cross compiler Problem
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:13:50 -0500

I'm trying to get the crosscompiler to work so I can hack on the hurd more efficiently.

The problem is I'm not on the debian system, so I grabbed the make-cross source and then built my cross compiler.

The first build it complained about libraries, so I modified the commandline a bit.

This is what I did for the second build

CC="gcc -L/gnu/lib -I/gnu/include " ./make-cross -f i386-gnu /

to tell the compiler explicitly where to find libs. It still doesn't work. It complains with the following error:

i386-gnu-gcc test.c
/usr/i386-gnu/bin/ld: cannot open /lib/libc.so.0.3: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

All the includes and libs from gnu hurd are indeed in /usr/i386-gnu-hurd lib and include subdirectories. It's behaving as though it did not even look in there. What did I do wrong? BTW first time I tried I used the same commandline except the CC variable did not have the -L and -I options specified. It did the same thing.

Any help would be much appreciated. I've reviewed the docs for cross compilers and I can't find what I've missed. Fixing this would make my hurd hacking easier. I'm trying to patch up a device driver and it's slow going when I have to keep doing native compiles.

Thanks,
Robert Lowe