Re: preferred order of owner, group, author in GNU/Hurd ls -l output?

From: James Morrison
Subject: Re: preferred order of owner, group, author in GNU/Hurd ls -l output?
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 12:17:09 -0700 (PDT)

--- Matthew Sackman <matthew@sackman.co.uk> wrote:

> Following on from chown is chmod: when one does a chmod a+r [filename]
> for example, I take it that under Hurd that's going to update the
> permissions for 'author' and not 'all'. Maybe use an 'A' for 'all'?

 The author shouldn't have any permission bits.  chmod a+r should add read
access to the owner, group, and other.  Should chmod a+r alter the nouser
permissions?  I wouldn't think so.

> Uppercase isn't generally liked for command options it appears. Any
> other suggestions?
>
> Matthew

 Perhaps chmod A+r could be used for all with no user bits.

=====
James Morrison
   University of Waterloo
   Computer Science - Digital Hardware
   2A co-op
http://hurd.dyndns.org

Anyone referring to this as 'Open Source' shall be eaten by a GNU