Re: Running several instances of an fs server...

From: marco
Subject: Re: Running several instances of an fs server...
Date: Fri, 24 May 2002 16:15:27 +0200 (CEST)

> Hi!
>
> I'm wondering what happens when several instances of a filesystem
> server (with the same device as a parameter) run on a machine? In other
> words, what happens to the underlying data? How is data consistency
> handled?

AFAIK this isn't handled at all. Why do you want to do this?

> Since filesystems can be `mounted' in users directories, serveral users
> of the same machine are very likely to mount the same filesystem in
> their own home dir, so that's an important issue.

A user will not (in most cases) 'mount' a disk stored filesystem which is
stored on a device or partition, for example (and it will not have the
permissions to do this). The user can 'mount' a filesystem stored in a file
(this is called a loopback device in linux).

Most users will only mount network filesystems or special purpose
filesystems.