Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: 12 May 2002 10:57:42 +0200

* Richard Kreuter writes:
> 3.9.3 I'm not sure /lib/modules is the right place for kernel
> modules. I think we should move it to the GNU/Linux specific annex.

Yeah, this could be moved to the GNU/Linux annex...

> 6.2.x  /hurd : The Hurd servers

> /hurd contains the Hurd server binaries. Servers with .static appended
> to their name must be statically linked servers, servers without
> .static appended may be dynamically linked servers.

> The following servers, or symbolic links to servers, are required in
> /hurd.

> auth[.static]  The standard authentication server.
> exec[.static]  The standard execution server.
> init[.static]  The standard initialization and state maintaining server.
> proc[.static]  The standard process server.

Is there a valid reason why these translators should be static? The
only translator that I know should be static is the file system one.
What about a file system translator? The system is quite useless
without it.

> 6.2.x  /servers : Standard location where Hurd servers translate

> This is the directory Hurd servers translate rendezvous filesystem
> nodes in standard locations, so that other programs can easily find
> them and use server-specific interfaces.

> /servers/crash           The node where the crash server translates.
> /servers/exec      The node where the exec sever translates.
> /servers/password  The node where the password server translates.
> /servers/proc    The node where the process server translates.
> /servers/startup         <What's this do?>

Never heard of /servers/startup.. Where did you get this from? (Can't
find anything in the archives)

> In addition, all files with names of the form /servers/socket/N,
> where N is a string of digits, are reserved for <somebody who knows
> the score to finish this sentence>.  Symbolic links to these files are
> also permitted in the /servers/socket directory, as shown in the
> example below.

/include/hurd/paths.h:
/* Directory containing naming points for socket servers.
   Entries are named by the string representing the domain number
   in simple decimal (e.g. "/servers/socket/23").  */

> /servers/socket/1  The node where the pflocal server translates.
> /servers/socket/2  The node where the pfinet server translates.

> /servers/socket/pflocal  A symbolic link to /servers/socket/1
> /servers/socket/pfinet   A symbolic link to /servers/socket/2.

Shouldn't this be /servers/socket/local and /servers/socket/inet?

> 6.2.x  /usr/share/info
> 6.2.x  /usr/share/man  This directory is optional on a GNU system.
> 6.2.x  /usr/X11R6 : X Window System, Version 11 Release 6

The /usr prefix should be removed...

Cheers,
--
Alfred M. Szmidt