Hard Drive Problems

From: Marc Grégoire
Subject: Hard Drive Problems
Date: Fri, 3 May 2002 21:56:24 -0700

I tried making the Hurd partition with a few
different options.  All of them had the same
error mentioned in my first e-mail when booting.
 Some variations caused the boot to fail.

Ultimately, I re-created the partition using the
command as indicated in Neal's Install Guide.
The error message still exists, but there don't
seem to be any real problems with the file
system.  So I'll just ignore it.

I believe I've found two problems with the
Install Guide:
1.  In section 7.1, it says to run ./MAKEDEV
/dev/hd0s1.  This fails for me, but ./MAKEDEV
hd0s1 works fine.
2.  The command to create a mouse device should
use settrans -c , not just settrans.

Hoepfully, this will be helpful to others
installing the Hurd.

Any idea when the switch to OSKit-Mach will be
made?  I see from the lists that there are
several people running it already.

Marc

Sign up today for your Free E-mail at: http://www.canoe.ca/CanoeMail