Re: Improving Hurd

From: Jan Atle Ramsli
Subject: Re: Improving Hurd
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2002 20:53:03 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" wrote:

> Jeff Bailey <jbailey@nisa.net> wrote:
>
>     Pick a section of code, and hack on it.  Show that you know what
>     you're talking about, and people will listen to you.  If you see a
>     decision made that you think is incorrect, speak up and be clear what
>     part you object to, what should be done different and way.
>
> To which Jan Atle Ramsli <trollet@skynet.be> replied:
>
>    I try to _understand_, I try to find some common ground, what are
>    the guidelines, how am I to proceeed?
>
> Jan -- there is a very bad misunderstanding here.  Jeff told you how
> to proceed.  He told you the guidelines.  And he told you how to
> create common ground.  Please re-read the quote from him: it tells you.
>
> Presumably, you meant something else than Jeff wrote when you asked
> `how am I to proceeed?'  What did you mean?  Why were you unable to
> understand what Jeff meant?  A written answer to these questions might
> make useful documentation -- and might be a good way for you to
> proceed right now.

I think that if this whole thread is sort of taken apart, and put
together again, with maybe the naswer that you refer to as the 'Heading'
and Marcus' elaborations as the 'contents' in a chapter, the questions
you refer to are fully answered.
I haven't been very clear about when I wanted 'documentation' and when I
wanted 'meta-documentation' -
I have tried to give a reason for that in some other postings.

All the doc and meta-doc I wanted is in this thread.

It could be put together in an intro called 'What you need to understand
before trying to contribute to the Hurd' - there actually is such a
document for FreeBSD (and/or Linux, if I remember wrong?).

Atle