Re: trouble booting hurd

From: B. Douglas Hilton
Subject: Re: trouble booting hurd
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 2002 22:19:08 -0400

Actually, now as I think and the old neurons spark back to
life, it wasn't a type, but rather a problem with oskit-mach.

Anyways, the "old" method of booting was something like:

grub> root (hd1,1)
grub> kernel (hd1,1)/boot/gnumach.gz -- root=hd0s1
grub> module (hd1,1)/boot/serverboot.gz
grub> boot

Except you can edit your grub's menu.lst to include some
rather intricate lines to entirely replace serverboot.gz
which is now the preferred method. You will need to
research this on your own. I'd suggest writing it down
on paper, and when it works, add it to menu.lst as a
replacement for the serverboot.gz thing.

The serverboot.gz "should" still work, but it is obsolescent.
If you "zless serverboot.gz" you will see a bunch of commands
similar to the newer command line boot method.

So Jim, how far is the University of Waterloo from York University?
Hope you can make it to the Debconf 2 this year in Toronto. I'm
looking forward to it. It would be nice to have a strong Hurder
presence.  I'll have to shine up my Debian t-shirt... The only
thing that scares me is the zip up the QEW from Buffalo to
Toronto, you Canadians drive like fiends! Six lanes bumper to
bumper at 120+ KPH! Eeek! My old car can barely go that fast...

On Monday 15 April 2002 09:36 pm, James Morrison wrote:
> --- "B. Douglas Hilton" <bdhilton@charter.net> wrote:
> > yet :-)
>
>  This isn't quite right.  While using oskit-mach, you must end the kernel
> line with --.

Drat!