Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Richard Kreuter
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 18:08:55 -0500

On Mon, Mar 25, 2002 at 06:08:49PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 06:35:29PM -0500, Richard Kreuter wrote:
> > On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 10:16:06PM +0100, Jeroen Dekkers wrote:
>
> I think it would be nice to post the GNU things to the mailinglist
> before they'll release the next version, which will be soon.

  Okay.  I don't want to speak for anybody without approval; is there
rough agreement about everything?  I'll apply Thomas Bushnell's and
your corrections sometime in the next day, and post the result to this
list then.

> > 3.5.1 Grub needs its config in /boot and that should be allowed.
> >   <All commentors agreed.>
>
> I'm not sure we have to specify the actually layout of /boot. I think
> you've to ask the GRUB hacker.

  I believe grub's menu.lst must be in /boot/grub or /grub (the latter
to accomodate /boot partitions) on a filesystem on a partition.  How
about we reword the above to

3.5.1 Grub may place its configuration file under /boot.

> > [Re: /bin] As a result, several system binaries are
> > useful to normal users and should be found in /bin:
> >
> > mkfs.*
> > mk*fs
> > *fsck
> > fsck.*