Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)

From: Richard Kreuter
Subject: Re: Hurd FS hierarchy (was Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH troubles)
Date: Sun, 24 Mar 2002 11:41:03 -0500

On Sun, Mar 24, 2002 at 10:17:07AM -0600, Carl Wilhelm Soderstrom wrote:
> > such reasoning could be like this: "/usr/sbin/init.d/ is right
> > because it is a binary that is not boot-essential and not used by
> > any user."
>
> so what about /var/lib? (another directory I don't fully understand
> the reasoning behind; I'm just throwing this out as an idea).

  /var/lib is for state information, such as editor backup files,
distribution packaging system data, and so forth.  'lib' is arguably
an unfortunate name, as other '*/lib's are for libraries.

  As far as I can tell, the GNU coding standards would place the
contents of /var/lib in /com.  Maybe there are other subdirectories of
/var whose contents would be in /com, too.

Richard
kreuter at ausar.rutgers.edu