Re: GNU login shell

From: Moritz Schulte
Subject: Re: GNU login shell
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 10:08:33 +0100

nisse@lysator.liu.se (Niels Möller) writes:

> Well, because it's a friendly thing to do?

Well, I don't think that is a good argument.  Then you could also ask
why we care about (local) privacy at all.

> (When I open my door for a visitor, I don't usually lock the doors
> to rooms that the visitor isn't supposed to see, and sometimes I
> even encourage them to look around).

Yes, true.  But the point is that you don't know wether it's a nice
visitor or an intruder.  I also don't understand the purpose, because
a user would surely login if he would have real work to do at the
sytem.

> And because the typical local user nowadays has physical access to
> the machine, so it's usually futile to stop attacks from evil local
> users.

True, if a user has physical access, he would be able to spy out data
anyway.  But I think, we shouldn't have our door that open however.

> If you're saying that this should be easy to configure based on
> local policy, I'm all for it.

Yes..
                moritz
--
moritz@duesseldorf.ccc.de - http://duesseldorf.ccc.de/~moritz/
GPG fingerprint = 3A14 3923 15BE FD57 FC06  B501 0841 2D7B 6F98 4199