Re: ioctl's handling with a trivfs translator

From: Ludovic Court?s
Subject: Re: ioctl's handling with a trivfs translator
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 17:41:04 +0100

> One of the reason to not have a ioctl call is that not all traditional UNIX
> ioctls can be dealt with by simple rpcs, it needs support in the user task.
> Another is cleanliness:  ioctl is a horrible hack to avoid designing proper
> interfaces, or maybe to save syscall numbers.  In the Hurd, we have a proper
> IPC system, so we don't really need ioctls.  But we need them anyway for
> compatibility, so we have them, but then a ioctl id corresponds to an RPC,
> or to a special case in the C library.

So, if I understand well, libstore is the user interface that makes it possible
for a user program to communicate with a storeio server, right?

I've been looking for the source code of the mouse and kbd translators in the
hurd source tree but I haven't been able to find it. Any pointers? Is it related
to streamio?

Thanks,
Ludovic.