Re: yet more newbie questions

From: Richard
Subject: Re: yet more newbie questions
Date: Sat, 9 Mar 2002 10:51:04 -0500

On Fri, Mar 08, 2002 at 07:09:54PM -0800, Kenneth Stailey wrote:
> Thanks!  I made it to single-user mode under The Hurd.

  Good.  I think there are two independent factors explaining your
following report:

> I did get a large number of
>
> hd0: read_intr: status=0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
> hd0: read_intr: status=0x10 { SectorIdNotFound }, LBAsect=95049239, sector=28
>
> This pair of messages repeats a few times and then
>
> ide0: reset: success

  Note: GNUmach uses Linux's device drivers.  I've gotten errors like
this before with Linux, and in each case the drive eventually gives
out.  Don't trust me on this one, though: do you get these errors
under Linux?  Try some e2fsck's, maybe with the '-c' option (badblock
check), and maybe write some bigish files, see whether these errors
come up.

> Then the whole sequence repeats again.
> Finally it goes:
>
> end_request: I/O error, dev 03:12, sector 28

  I've told others this before (and so I hope it's true :) ) GNUmach
reports an error like this in case the drive has an extended
partition.  I get this every time too, and it's non-fatal, and maybe
also insignificant.  (You might want to do a mailing list archive
search for some discussion of this by the Real Hurd Hackers; I think
it's a bug in GNUmach that hasn't been important enough to fix.)

> Then it stops writing error messages and boots servers and gives me
> the shell prompt.

  Happy Hurding :)

Richard
kreuter at ausar.rutgers.edu