Re: unable to re-boot

From: David Walter
Subject: Re: unable to re-boot
Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:44:07 -0500

(Apologies to marcus, for emailing directly, pressed the wrong follow-up
option)

Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> On Fri, Jan 11, 2002 at 09:01:34AM -0500, David Walter wrote:
>> I installed and was successfully running the HURD.
>>
>> After issuing apt-get update; apt-get upgrade this week, I was no
>> longer able to boot.
>
> Bad news indeed.  I did a mistake by uploading 20020103-1, as it might be
> broken in a subtle way (it was compiled against a bad glibc).  It would be
> nice if you could try 20020103-2 (currently in http://incoming.debian.org,
> and will be installed later).  You can do
>
> cd /gnu
> ./dpkg-hurd -i hurd*deb
>
> to install it from GNU/Linux or a running GNU/Hurd.

Hmmm. Interestingly I got an error

      bash: ./dpkg-hurd: /bin/sh: bad interpreter: Permission denied

Which I was able to work around, and sh -x processed ignoring the error?
But that isn't the main point anyway. I installed the downloaded .deb
but the HURD is still failing to boot.

> I don't think you did anything wrong, and nothing that should affect you
> changed, I think.  We can start to worry if it doesn't work with
> hurd_20020103-2 :)

Perhaps we need to start worrying. Or may _I_ should.  :) I am still
receiving the error message and it is failing.  I can't mount the
other partitions. mount /home for instance gives translator died error
message.

I think I am going to try to revert to the original installation from
CD again. Unless there is some other alternative?

Oh, wait, did I need to run ./native-install again twice after the
install of the new hurd?.....

Hmm. I suppose I shouldn't have to, but will try while waiting for a
reply.

David