Re: Keymaps

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Keymaps
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2002 16:01:16 +0100

On Fri, Jan 04, 2002 at 01:58:24PM +0100, "Wikström, Mårten" wrote:
> What is the story of keymaps so far? According to the FAQ you can
> get german or american keymaps. I have modified Marcus' german
> keymap to suit swedish keyboards, if someone is interested in it.
> However, is there a more general solution being worked on or is it not
> relevant?

The upcoming colortext translator will implement keymap support itself, so
the kernel will not be involved anymore.  If you want to do some research on
what is the status quo of keymaps in GNU/Linux, so we just need to support
their format whatever it is and take the data from them, that would help the
effort.  Follow up with details on bug-hurd, please.

Colortext is a userland pc console driver, which will receive scancodes from
the kernel and translate them for term.  It will also understand the video
buffer, escape sequences etc.  It will have keymap and font-loading support.
If anybody knows something about loading fonts (and what is the status-quo
of text mode fonts on GNU/Linux etc), let me know.  That part is still
missing, too, and we don't want to develop our own keymaps and fonts, but
just rip them from GNU/Linux.

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de