Re: Hurd Projects

From: Lars Weber
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: 23 Dec 2001 04:05:43 +0100

mike burrell <mikpos@shaw.ca> wrote:
> e.g. one common use of /tmp (in the world of GNU) is when compiling with gcc
> without the -pipe option.  envision a very perverse situation, where many
> users are doing many compilations at once (the system would have to be under
> *very* high load), and gcc dumps its temporary .S files to /tmp.  wouldn't
> it be possible that one of those .S files "expires" before the assembler
> even gets a chance to look at it?  would this violate some sort of Unix
> standard?

You assume here that an unchangeable policy of expirefs would be to always
expire the oldest file in the cache once a certain total size is reached,
right?  If so, this is not what I had in mind.  From what I envision
expirefs would be equally usable for situations where files should only be
expired based on age (and/or some other factors) and a write-error should
be returned if the size-limit (implicit or explicit) is reached.

The functionality of expirefs (as I see it) could so simply described as
"a virtual filesystem capable of automatically deleting files based on
certain configurable factors."

Regards,
Lars

--
[ Lars Weber ]-------< me@lars.in-berlin.de >-----[ GPG-ID: 1383B42E ]
+++ fingerprint: 44B1 1D23 DD53 E6B2 4AAB 4C36 0323 9141 1383 B42E +++