Re: Hurd Projects

From: Jeroen Dekkers
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: Sun, 23 Dec 2001 02:40:58 +0100

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 01:47:57PM -0700, mike burrell wrote:
> Lars Weber (me@lars.in-berlin.de) said:
> > As for caching, maybe it would be possible to provide the networking and
> > the caching functionality by different translators.  This way the httpfs-
> > and ftpfs-translators would simply use a cachefs-translator for caching.
> > (And maybe even a freenet translator could simply use cachefs to manage
> > it's datacache!?)  There might pop up other uses for a cachefs in the
> > future, but I don't know if there can be several translators on the same
> > node.
>
> several translators on the same node would be immensely useful, especially
> if you could sort of 'pipe' a node from one translator to another.
>
> there are certainly other uses for cachefs (though maybe it would need a
> different name).  one thing i thought of was an FS sort of like Microsoft
> Windows' Recycle Bin (except much cleaner).  instead of 'rm'ing a file, you
> 'mv' it into a trash directory -- if the trash FS is full, then in it
> (silently) deletes the oldest file on there.  i actually have something kind
> of like this on my GNU/Linux machine, where i have a crontab entry that
> deletes the trash daily, but a TrashFS would be much cleaner.  of course,
> anything that caches could make great use of it.

I think having support for this is in the normal filesystem is better.
There already exist undelete ext2 implementation and with the normal
ext2 filesystem recovering files isn't that hard either, try the recover
program.

> but, i think if we were to get this thing working well and quickly, the
> proper order of operation would be:
> (1) get squid working under the Hurd (has this even been done yet?)
> (2) turn it into a translator
> (3) slowly work at getting it to export a human-usable datacache
> (4) once that's working, take out squid's conventional non-human-usable
> datacache
> (5) work at trying to separate network code from cacheing code and
> eventually break it into two translators

I don't know the squid code, but I know that it's a very big proxy
server used by many large ISPs. I'm not sure the code is usable to
modify it in a translator. For the HTTP part, there exist libraries for
that IIRC. You might have more luck trying that.

Jeroen Dekkers
--
Jabber supporter - http://www.jabber.org Jabber ID: jdekkers@jabber.org
Debian GNU supporter - http://www.debian.org http://www.gnu.org