Re: Hurd Projects

From: Lars Weber
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: 23 Dec 2001 00:29:37 +0100

mike burrell <mikpos@shaw.ca> wrote:
> there are certainly other uses for cachefs (though maybe it would need a
> different name).  one thing i thought of was an FS sort of like
> Microsoft Windows' Recycle Bin (except much cleaner).  instead of
> 'rm'ing a file, you 'mv' it into a trash directory -- if the trash FS is
> full, then in it (silently) deletes the oldest file on there.  i
> actually have something kind of like this on my GNU/Linux machine, where
> i have a crontab entry that deletes the trash daily, but a TrashFS would
> be much cleaner.  of course, anything that caches could make great use
> of it.

If a c^Hexpirefs is actually written then it should be possible to design
it generic enough for such uses, too.

> but, i think if we were to get this thing working well and quickly, the
> proper order of operation would be:
> (1) get squid working under the Hurd (has this even been done yet?)
> (2) turn it into a translator
> (3) slowly work at getting it to export a human-usable datacache
> (4) once that's working, take out squid's conventional non-human-usable
> datacache
> (5) work at trying to separate network code from cacheing code and
> eventually break it into two translators

For the system that I described in my reply to Adam Olsen I would have
rather chosen an order like the following:
(0) Decide whether this design is really a good thing (if it is not then
    ignore the following and start all over from scatch!) :)
(1a) Port some proxy over to the Hurd
(1b) Write a httpfs-translator (possibly based on some existing browser or
     proxy)
(1c) Write an expirefs-translator
(2) Change httpfs so that it works nicely with expirefs (if it's based on
    a proxy then part of the code should already be there)

I wouldn't even expect this approach to take much longer to complete than
yours, and one big advantage here is that the three first steps can be
carried out in parallel and have all a useful result in themselves.

But: as I'm not likely the one to implement this system I'm also not going
to complain if it's done otherwise :)

Regards,
Lars

--
[ Lars Weber ]-------< me@lars.in-berlin.de >-----[ GPG-ID: 1383B42E ]
+++ fingerprint: 44B1 1D23 DD53 E6B2 4AAB 4C36 0323 9141 1383 B42E +++