Re: Hurd Projects

From: Adam Olsen
Subject: Re: Hurd Projects
Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 16:40:33 +0000

On Sat, Dec 22, 2001 at 05:18:14PM +0100, Lars Weber wrote:
> As for caching, maybe it would be possible to provide the networking and
> the caching functionality by different translators.  This way the httpfs-
> and ftpfs-translators would simply use a cachefs-translator for caching.
> (And maybe even a freenet translator could simply use cachefs to manage
> it's datacache!?)  There might pop up other uses for a cachefs in the
> future, but I don't know if there can be several translators on the same
> node.

I agree that seperating the httpfs translator and the caching
mechanism would be worthwhile.  But why not just use an existing
caching proxy such as squid?  Is there some specific functionality
you'd want it to have?  A caching proxy would have to speak http
anyway, not fs, and translating between them is what the httpfs is
for.

--
Adam Olsen, aka Rhamphoryncus