Re: make forever

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: make forever
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2001 20:24:26 +0100

On Tue, Dec 11, 2001 at 01:23:20PM -0500, Marc Soda wrote:
> I have been attempting to recompile GnuMach on the Hurd.  Currently I
> have the Hurd setup on two boxes, a workstation and my laptop.  From
> the workstation, which is a PIII 600MHz with 128M of RAM, it will
> compile easily, in under 15 minutes.  However, on my laptop, which is
> a PIII 700MHz with 256M of RAM, it seems to run in a loop.  I let it
> compile for at least an hour, and, from watching the make output, it
> just seemed to do the same thing over and over.  Anyway, after an hour
> I killed the make process.  Any ideas?

Usually this indicated time stamp problems.  Are there any time stamps
pointing to the future?

For example, if your clock is different in Hurd and Linux, and the source
was unpacked in Linux, this could cause such problems.  The Hurd only
supports the clock running in GMT, while Linux can cope with localtime.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de