trying to get X working, problems with keyboard

From: Bryan K. Walton
Subject: trying to get X working, problems with keyboard
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2001 06:20:22 -0500

I posted this to the debian-hurd list yesterday, but perhaps it should
be going to this one instead.
        I am trying to get X working on the Hurd.  I believe I have all the
necessary packages installed.  I got the Yasushis translators from
alpha.gnu.org for kbd and the mouse.  I installed them following his
instructions.
        However, when I type startx, I get a blank black screen and am
unable to get back to a prompt.  After powering down the computer
(ARGH!) and coming back up, this is what the end of the X logs show:

---SNIP

Couldn't load XKB keymap, falling back to pre-XKB keymap

Fatal server error:
Cannot set event mode on keyboard (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to submit@bugs.debian.org.

FatalError re-entered, aborting
can't reset keyboard mode (Inappropriate ioctl for device)

---SNIP

Does anyone have any idea what I may be doing wrong here?

Thanks,
Bryan Walton