Re: I'm looking for the gopherfs translator

From: Igor Khavkine
Subject: Re: I'm looking for the gopherfs translator
Date: Tue, 9 Oct 2001 23:46:17 -0400

On Tue, Oct 09, 2001 at 07:20:07PM -0700, James Morrison wrote:
>  I found a reference to a gopherfs translator by Igor last december.
> Does anyone have the source for this translator.

Ok, attached are two versions of gopherfs code that I found on my HD.
I'm really not sure which one is more recent, I'd have to examine the
code in more detail, and I don't have time for that.

I think I've implemented the gopher protocol correctly, but I can't be
sure because I never got to test it. I had problems with running it
as a translator in the first place. And I had problems with having
a gopher server to access.

I've patched the gopher debian package (it contains a server and client)
to compile in Hurd. But again, had problems testing it partly because
I didn't have a functioning client (arrggh, vicious circle). I didn't
want to post the patch because I found the original codebase to be
completely ugly, and I changed a lot more then was required to get it
to compile. So the chance of it being accepted by either the maintainer
or mainstream is low. I'm attaching it here anyway.

Good luck. I hope you make better use of all this code then I could. :-)

Igor