Re: ShadowFS (status)

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: ShadowFS (status)
Date: Fri, 3 Aug 2001 15:36:12 +0200

On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 03:27:46PM +0200, Moritz Schulte wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:
>
> > Also an interesting case: One underlying fs provides a file x, and
> > one a directory x.  What do you do?
>
> I thought, the following rules apply:
>
> o We've a clear order of the backend filesystems[0]
> o If the first found node is a file, use that file
> o If the first found node is a directory, create a shadowed directory
>
> That's what my shadowfs-0.0 is doing.

Ok.  It would be nice to have command line options to decide that the first
directory should always shade any files, or the other way round.  This sould
not be too hard to implement, but it is not necessary for the first
prototype.

> [0] For example, if we do
> 'settrans /shadowed shadowfs /foo /bar /baz', stuff in /baz would
> override stuff in /foo and /bar - and stuff in /bar would override
> stuff in /foo.

Right.  Please document the ordering in the --help output.

Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de