Re: Mach port rights

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Mach port rights
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 22:48:24 +0200

On Tue, Jul 17, 2001 at 07:53:35PM +0200, Wolfgang wrote:
> Marcus Brinkmann <Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de> wrote:
> > A port set is a set of ports.  It is useful to combine ports into a port
> > set if you just want the next message on any of the ports you have a receive
> > right for.  In the Hurd, we use port classes and buckets provided by
> > libports,
> > though.
>
> Why is a collection of ports a port right?

Uff.  Well, we are not exactly strict in our wording when talking about
ports.  You could also ask why an entry index in the task name space is of
type "mach_port_t".  In the kernel source you will see that the relationship
between all these objects is actually more complicated.  You can think of
port rights as capabilities associated with ports and port sets, if you
want.

I suggest the mach_msg docs in kernel_interface.ps and the source in
gnumach/ipc.  By all means avoid the description in kernel_principles.ps
until you already gained a thorough understanding ;)

Thanks,
Marcus

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de