Re: Hurd on old computers

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: Hurd on old computers
Date: Thu, 31 May 2001 10:09:38 -0700

On Fri, Jun 01, 2001 at 04:15:09AM +0800, Jonathan Hunt wrote:

> I am booting on a machine with 8 Meg of virtual memory. Does booting
> single-user hurd actually require that much memory? Why? I mean isn't that a
> little on the high side?

"Premature optimization is the root of all evil."
 - Donald Knuth

We're definetly on the premature side of the Hurd. =)

> Actually I'm trying to boot hurd to enable swap - I
> guess I'll have to take the hard disk out again and put it in my computer to
> enable swap from there - I was hopping to avoid that ;).

Do you have Linux or BSD running on that computer too?  If yes, create
the swap partition, and edit the /etc/fstab from there.

If not, you'll probably want some other OS on there so that you can
recover the computer from time to time. =)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey