Re: HURD - About compatibility with another S.O.

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: HURD - About compatibility with another S.O.
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 09:15:53 -0700

On Wed, Apr 04, 2001 at 08:52:59AM -0300, Rodrigo Miron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to the Free Software and was reading about the Hurd, at the Gnu
> Homepage. The software packages for the Hurd will be compatible with any
> version of Linux Kernel or not? Or it will be exclusively to th Hurd System?

As far as I can tell, binary compatability will be an accidental side
effect of bringing our libc in sync with the one that Linux uses.

I think it's an awful idea.  If we start to claim that we can run
Linux binaries, people will wonder why *some* don't work.  Anything
that uses a Linux specific syscall, ioctl, device, 'proc filesystem'
will fail to run under The Hurd.  It also means that we tie ourselves
to matching whatever they choose, whether it's the Right Thing or not.

But I'm not one of the programmers, I merely hang out and harrass
them, so one of them might have a better answer. =)

Tks,
Jeff Bailey