Server boot Script

From: Jackson, Harry
Subject: Server boot Script
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 12:51:52 -0000

Hi all

Sorry about the last email

I have currently untar'd the "large tar ball" into /gnu on hdf9 of my hard
drive.
This was done under Linux Mandrake and by resizing the home partition.

I have made a Grub image on a floppy and from there I rebooted with the
disk in the drive.
Typing
root=(hd1,8)
This finds an extfs partition.
I get through the instructions as far as
module=/boot/serverboot.gz
this seems to work fine and then it leaves me at the prompt
root device name [hd1s8]
what do I do from here I cannot find anything in the documentation to say
whats next.
When I try anything I get
Server boot script [/dev/hd1s8/boot/servers.boot]

Grub obviously cannot find the servers.boot script which I know lives in
/gnu/boot/ when I check it under Linux.

It looks to me as if it cannot find the device hd1s8 and this stops it from
finding the
servers.boot script.

I am not sure but I think the problem lies in what I am calling my partition

with the files on it and the fact that when I check
/gnu/dev/
I can only see a MAKEDEV script there.

I think I may be trying too hard to get this installed  :-)

TVM
Harry

Regards;
Harry Jackson.
(+44) 207 947 1259

COLT Telecommunications
Registered in England No. 2452736
Registered Office: Bishopsgate Court, 4 Norton Folgate, London E1 6DQ
Tel. 020 7390 3900

relationship between COLT Telecommunications, its subsidiaries or
affiliates ("COLT") and you. Internet communications are not secure
and therefore COLT does not accept legal responsibility for the
contents of this message.  Any view or opinions expressed are those of
the author. The message is intended for the addressee only and its
contents and any attached files are strictly confidential. If you have
received it in error, please telephone the number above. Thank you.