Re: lilo can`t load gnumach

From: Erik Hunger
Subject: Re: lilo can`t load gnumach
Date: Mon, 18 Dec 2000 10:56:37 -0500

On Mon, Dec 18, 2000 at 10:40:33PM +0700, ML Mania wrote:
> i have 2 os in my pc ... linux and hurd
> i will activate my lilo that can make dual boot both of linux and hurd ...
> but why lilo can`t load gnumach ?

Lilo is set up to load a standard monolithic kernel or pass control to an
OS specific boot loader. The Hurd is a set of servers running on top of a
microkernel. I'm not sure how far lilo gets into booting the Hurd, but I
know it's not set up to start the Hurd servers and a bare GNUmach kernel
isn't terribly useful. There is no Hurd specific boot loader to pass
control to, either.
The solution to this is to use GRUB. It's capable of loading GNU/Linux and
the Hurd as well as other operating systems. You can get it at
alpha.gnu.org/gnu/grub

Lanir