Re: An easy-to-install Hurd distribution

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: Re: An easy-to-install Hurd distribution
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 10:30:56 -0800

On Thu, Nov 30, 2000 at 02:29:34PM -0500, Neal H Walfield wrote:

> So the tool was good for about 100 people, who were hackers anyway.  Did
> you waste time?  Maybe.  However, the time would have been, IMHO, a lot
> better spent helping the other efforts to get the hurd to a point were
> the ``easy installer'' can be written easily.

The one disagreement I have is that some of us don't feel qualified to
write Hurd code, but might feel qualified to write an installer. =)  I
prefer to help with web stuff and documentation, and porting.  My
official Debianness should appear RSN.

I don't think it's been emphasized recently how many tasks us "average
programmers" can be doing to get this going.  It might be nice to refocus
on that so that the magicians can stick to the magic only they can do.

--
No matter how big the bell, if you only tap it, it can give out only a
faint sound.  We must understand thoroughly that the weakness of the blow,