Re: 486-Hurd (was Re: Cygwin bug? Anyone got any ideas?)

From: Erik Hunger
Subject: Re: 486-Hurd (was Re: Cygwin bug? Anyone got any ideas?)
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:32:25 -0500

On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 04:44:52PM +0100, Marcus Brinkmann wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 28, 2000 at 02:59:07AM -0500, Erik Hunger wrote:
> > I did have one question, though. I was testing out the size limits after
> > all the MAXPATHLEN, etc. stuff was mentioned. When I run 'touch' with more
> > than 255 characters (touch ALT+256 z, for example), it locks up. Was I
> > misunderstanding the limits? I'm running off of the Sept 25th, 2000
> > tarball. If gdb is involved in a solution, please give me a quick line to
> > use with it so I don't muck it up. Thanks! :)
>
> PATH_MAX (which is the POSIX equivalent to BSD MAXPATHLEN) is umlimited on
> the Hurd, but the individual path components are limited to NAME_MAX ==
> MAXNAMLEN, which is 255 on linux and hurd (defined in <dirent.h>).
>
> However, it shouldn't crash! You have found a bug.

Ooh... My very own? :)
Okay, quickie status on this. I can not successfully hack anything more complex
than "Hello world!" without being lucky (take this nearly literal). I can
volunteer to do any testing which might help. My filesystem is very likely less
important than that of anyone who's competent to fix this. I'll have a look at
that header file on the off chance I'll soak up some general knowledge.

Thanks for the info!
Lanir