Re: Recurring Problem with root filesystem - translator bug?

From: Marcus Brinkmann
Subject: Re: Recurring Problem with root filesystem - translator bug?
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 00:43:29 +0100

On Mon, Nov 13, 2000 at 04:17:18PM -0700, oberg@SoftHome.net wrote:
> Ive reformatted and reinstalled multiple times (like 10) and keep seeing the
> same odd behavior in the root filesystem.  Each time I reformat and reinstall,
> random files in the filesystem (and it does appear to be random) appear as
> raw device files with major/minor=0/0 as the following examples:
>
> crwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       0,   0 Jul 31 07:25 fileutils.postinst

> Has anyone ever seen this before?  Ive scoured the archived list and didn't
> see anything relevant.  If you have any ideas at all, please let me know.

Last time I saw behaviour like this is about two years ago. Since then,
never. It looks very suspicious. The best thing would be if you could
(cross) compile your own Hurd with debugging info[1] and try to step trace
through ext2fs to see what it sees on the partition and compare it to what
actually is on the partition.

For the record, information about the version of the linux kernel,
e2fsprogs and the Hurd you are using might prove to be useful in the future,
although I have no particular idea what might be causing this, sorry.

Thanks,
Marcus

[1] Yes, we hsould have a hurd-dbg package.

Marcus.Brinkmann@ruhr-uni-bochum.de
http://www.marcus-brinkmann.de