Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)

From: Erik Hunger
Subject: Re: Porting the Hurd to L4 (glibc dependencies, dropping glibc?)
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2000 14:54:11 -0500

Please excuse if this is a trivial non-issue (but let me know so I learn
something :). My impression was that the translators depended upon some bits in
the filesystem that the Hurd sets differently (and which no other OS really
understands yet). Would this not cause problems porting sub-hurds in other
operating systems? I suppose it could be done under a loopback filesystem. I
haven't played with those enough to know how sturdy they are when it comes to
compiling or other intense use. But the Hurd would have to be tucked away
somewhere out of reach otherwise everytime they fsck things break. I seem to
remember hearing that tar did not keep track of translators yet, so archiving
them wouldn't solve this.

Erik